Bluebell Railway - 2013 Special Events listing
Dec - Advanced information for 2014
Visitor Information - Special Event fares & discounts
2013 is the year we have opened our extension to East Grinstead. The opening date was 23 March, and a 2-week long festival of special events celebrated the completion of this mammoth project.
We now look forward to the old favorites, the Southern at War weekend, Vintage Transport weekend, Santa Specials, Sussex Food Fair and the two Collectors' Fairs. Our Lounge Car services, Golden Arrow dining trains, Fish & Chip evenings and Rail Ale trains remain as popular as ever, so book early for these.
Special Timetables may apply on Special Event days.
These are usually available on the Services for the coming week page (which is aimed mainly at enthusiasts), in the days running up to the event.
For larger events a detailed event guide is often available in advance (with details on the individual page for that event).
Special Events Discount: We are pleased to offer discounted tickets for some of our special events, if purchased more than one month in advance.
Full details of the individual events and advance ticket discounts will be available in due course on the Railway's Visitor Information pages.
The Bluebell Railway Band will be playing for the Bluebell Railway Carol Service
- Saturday 7th December, 7.30pm at Horsted Keynes Station - wrap up well!
Weekends in January: Timetabled steam-hauled and steam-heated trains
16-24 February: Kids for a Quid - Special Half Term Offer.
- Sunday 24 February: Participate in the Northern Extension Track Trek - sponsored walk over the extension trackbed.
Saturday 23rd March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 1 - Opening Day Gala timetable with trains every 45 minutes. Champagne Breakfast. Evening Gala Pullman.
- Sunday 24th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 2 - Opening Weekend Gala timetable with trains every 45 minutes.
- Monday 25th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 3 - "Officers' Special" on board the Observation Car.
- Tuesday 26th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 4 - Guided tours of East Grinstead High Street.
- Wednesday 27th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 5 - In addition to a two-train public service, a special Pullman service ran for invited guests that have assisted with the building of the extension to East Grinstead.
- Thursday 28th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 6 - Special timetable. We receive our first through excursion from London. Locomotive naming. Special Class-73 hauled train on the Bluebell.
- Friday 29th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 7 - Bo Peep Specials. First Wealden Rambler Afternoon Tea service to East Grinstead.
- Saturday 30th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 8 - Bo Peep Special. First Golden Arrow evening Pullman to East Grinstead.
- Sunday 31st March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 9 - Bo Peep Special. Special evening service for Sainsbury's at East Grinstead.
Monday 1st April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 10 - Bo Peep Special. Wealden Rambler Afternoon Tea.
- Tuesday 2nd April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 11 - Special guided tour of the National Trust Sheffield Park Garden.
- Wednesday 3rd April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 12
- Thursday 4th April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 13 - Special evening Cheese & Wine Party plus quiz on board the Wealden Rambler, commencing at East Grinstead.
- Friday 5th April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 14 - East Grinstead residents day. First Rail Ale special starting at East Grinstead.
- Saturday 6th April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 15 - Bell ringers special. Bus service between Horsted Keynes station and village. Tours of St Giles Church and the grave of former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan.
- Sunday 7th April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Last Day - Free vintage buses and discount admission to National Trust at Standen. Evening Service of Thanksgiving.
- Saturday 27 April: Toy and Rail Collectors' Fair - Our spring one-day railwayana event.
11 & 12 May: Southern at War Weekend - Turning back the clock to the days of the Second World War
21 June: Beer, Brass and Steam with real ale, a picnic supper, Horsham Borough Band and a ride on a steam train.
- 22 & 23 June: Edwardian Weekend - rekindle the days of Edwardian splendour, and travel in the rolling stock used in the filming of Downton Abbey.
- 29 & 30 June: Model Railway Weekend - our second such event, and a huge success!
6 & 7 July: Sussex Food Festival at Horsted Keynes.
- 14 July: Evening Songs of Praise at East Grinstead station.
- 20 & 21 July: Toy and Rail Collectors Fair
Throughout August: Children's Fun Days - Punch & Judy Shows.
- 10 & 11 August: Vintage Transport Weekend
Tuesday 10th September: Steam Dreams charter hauled by No.60163 "Tornado" arrives on the Bluebell.
- Monday 30th September: Autumn Tints
Sunday 13th October: Clarinet on Track Fundraising Concert
- Weekdays: 1-4, 7-11, 14-18, 21-25 October: Autumn Tints
- Sunday 27th October: Vintage Bus Day with a number of free vintage bus routes operating to and from the Bluebell Railway.
- 26 October - 3 November: Kids for a Quid - Half Term special offer.
Each weekend through November: Kids for a Quid - special offer. Also applies during Half Term week, 26 October to 3 November.
- 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 23 & 24 December: Santa Specials - Postal and online bookings are now open. Our ever-popular Christmas services, where Father Christmas distributes presents to the children on the train, with mince pies for the adults, and Victorian Christmas entertainment at the stations. Download the booking form or buy (3rd class tickets only) online through our shop. Telephone Credit Card Bookings are available from 30th September.
- 2 December: Christmas Weekday Wonders - A steam train ride from East Grinstead station (at 11.00am) in our Edwardian carriages, with a special tour of our museum and a traditional Christmas Lunch at Sheffield Park, returning on the train afterwards.
- 7 December: Horsted Keynes Station Carol Service -
Come and join in with the Bluebell Railway Band and the Bluebell Chaplain and Rector of Horsted Keynes, Father John Twisleton, from 7.30pm. The Station refreshment room will be open with Mulled wine and other refreshments available to purchase. Entry to the station is free of charge but a retiring collection will be offered for St Giles Church and the Bluebell Railway.
- 9 & 10 December: Christmas Weekday Wonders - A steam train ride from Horsted Keynes station (at 11.15am) in our Edwardian carriages, with a special tour of our museum and a traditional Christmas Lunch at Sheffield Park, returning on the train to Horsted Keynes afterwards.
- 9 & 10 December: School Yule - A steam train ride for school and pre-school groups in our Edwardian carriages, with presents distributed by Father Christmas.
- 12 & 20 December: Victorian Christmas Specials - Travel in an exclusive compartment in a Victorian carriage, and we will supply you with a hamper of delicious snacks and drinks.
Father Christmas will be on hand with a special gift for all children. Victorian fairground, hot chestnuts and mulled wine. More details.
- 28, 29, 30 & 31 December: Fairy Godmother Specials
- After Christmas come and take a ride on one of our vintage steam trains from Sheffield Park to East Grinstead where the Fairy Godmother will be on board the train with special Christmas treats for both adults and children. More details.
- Also in December:
Advanced information for 2014
- Saturday 22nd February 2014: The McIndoe Bluebell Pullman - A Black Tie fundraising special to commemorate the work of Sir Archibald Mcindoe in his pioneering treatment of many badly burnt airmen at East Grinstead's Queen Victoria Hospital during WW2. Bookings now being taken.
- Murder Mystery evenings on the Golden Arrow Pullman: Fridays: 21 February, 28 March, 9 May, 13 June, 11 July, 8 August, 12th September, 10th October, 14th November and Wednesday 3 and Thursday 4 December 2014 - Bookings now being taken.
- Golden Arrow Pullman dining trains:
Bookings now being taken.
- February 2014: Evening: 14 (Valentine's Day), 15. Sunday Lunch: 16, 23.
- March: Evening: 22, 29. Sunday Lunch: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30.
- April: Evening: 5, 12, 26. Sunday Lunch: 6, 13, 20, 27.
- May: Evening: 3, 10, 17, 24, 31. Sunday Lunch: 4, 18, 25.
- June: Evening: 7, 14, 21. Sunday Lunch: 1, 8, 15, 22.
- July: Evening: 12, 19, 26. Sunday Lunch: 13, 20.
- August: Evening: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30. Sunday Lunch: 3, 17, 24, 31.
- September: Evening: 6, 13, 20, 27. Sunday Lunch: 7, 14, 21, 28.
- October: Evening: 4, 11, 18. Sunday Lunch: 5, 12, 19.
- November 2014: Evening: 1, 22. Sunday Lunch: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30.
- December 2014 Evening Christmas Specials: 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23. Sunday Lunch: 28.
- New Year's Eve: Wednesday 31 December 2014.
Return to the Bluebell Home Page or
to the Timetable - Special Event Fares & Discounts - Donate to our Appeal
Visitor Info. - Museum - Trust - Catering - Contacts - What's
New - Projects - Locos - Carriages & Wagons -
Signals - History - Other - Links - Search - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member? - Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
Last updated 30 November 2013 by Richard
© Copyright, credits and