Bluebell Railway - 2013 Special Events listing
May - June - July - Aug - Sept - Oct - Nov - Dec
Visitor Information - Special Event fares & discounts
2013 is the year we have opened our extension to East Grinstead. The opening date was 23 March, and a 2-week long festival of special events celebrated the completion of this mammoth project.
We now look forward to the old favorites, the Southern at War weekend, Vintage Transport weekend, Santa Specials, Sussex Food Fair and the two Collectors' Fairs, plus a welcome return of that staple of our calendar for so many years, "Giants of Steam". Our Lounge Car services, Golden Arrow dining trains, Fish & Chip evenings and Rail Ale trains remain as popular as ever, so book early for these.
Special Timetables may apply on Special Event days.
These are usually available on the Services for the coming week page (which is aimed mainly at enthusiasts), in the days running up to the event.
For larger events a detailed event guide is often available in advance (with details on the individual page for that event).
Special Events Discount: We are pleased to offer discounted tickets for some of our special events, if purchased more than one month in advance.
Full details of the individual events and advance ticket discounts will be available in due course on the Railway's Visitor Information pages.
The Bluebell Railway Band will be playing on the following dates:
The band will also be playing for the Bluebell Railway Carol Service
- Saturday 7th December, 7.30pm at Horsted Keynes Station - wrap up well!
- Sunday 12 May (Southern at War) at Sheffield Park Station (2.00-4.00pm)
- Saturday & Sunday 22-23 June (Edwardian Weekend) at Horsted Keynes Station (2.00-4.00pm)
- Saturday & Sunday 6-7 July (Food Festival) at Horsted Keynes Station (1.00-3.30pm)
- Saturday & Sunday 10-11 August (Vintage Weekend) at Horsted Keynes Station (2.00-4.00pm)
Weekends in January: Timetabled steam-hauled and steam-heated trains
16-24 February: Kids for a Quid - Special Half Term Offer.
- Sunday 24 February: Participate in the Northern Extension Track Trek - sponsored walk over the extension trackbed.
Saturday 23rd March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 1 - Opening Day Gala timetable with trains every 45 minutes. Champagne Breakfast. Evening Gala Pullman.
- Sunday 24th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 2 - Opening Weekend Gala timetable with trains every 45 minutes.
- Monday 25th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 3 - "Officers' Special" on board the Observation Car.
- Tuesday 26th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 4 - Guided tours of East Grinstead High Street.
- Wednesday 27th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 5 - In addition to a two-train public service, a special Pullman service ran for invited guests that have assisted with the building of the extension to East Grinstead.
- Thursday 28th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 6 - Special timetable. We receive our first through excursion from London. Locomotive naming. Special Class-73 hauled train on the Bluebell.
- Friday 29th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 7 - Bo Peep Specials. First Wealden Rambler Afternoon Tea service to East Grinstead.
- Saturday 30th March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 8 - Bo Peep Special. First Golden Arrow evening Pullman to East Grinstead.
- Sunday 31st March: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 9 - Bo Peep Special. Special evening service for Sainsbury's at East Grinstead.
Monday 1st April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 10 - Bo Peep Special. Wealden Rambler Afternoon Tea.
- Tuesday 2nd April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 11 - Special guided tour of the National Trust Sheffield Park Garden.
- Wednesday 3rd April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 12
- Thursday 4th April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 13 - Special evening Cheese & Wine Party plus quiz on board the Wealden Rambler, commencing at East Grinstead.
- Friday 5th April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 14 - East Grinstead residents day. First Rail Ale special starting at East Grinstead.
- Saturday 6th April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Day 15 - Bell ringers special. Bus service between Horsted Keynes station and village. Tours of St Giles Church and the grave of former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan.
- Sunday 7th April: East Grinstead Opening Festival - Last Day - Free vintage buses and discount admission to National Trust at Standen. Evening Service of Thanksgiving.
- Saturday 27 April: Toy and Rail Collectors' Fair - Our spring one-day railwayana event.
- 11 & 12 May: Southern at War Weekend - Turning back the clock to the days of the Second World War
- Also in May:
- 17 May: Fish & Chip Evening Supper Special.
- 25 & 27 May: Full Afternoon Tea on board our Lounge Car service.
- 31 May: Rail Ale evening. Enjoy a steam hauled train ride, evening supper and live jazz; a range of Real Ales available at Sheffield Park, Horsted Keynes and on board the train.
- 21 June: Beer, Brass and Steam with real ale, a picnic supper, Horsham Borough Band and a ride on a steam train. Phone 01825 720800 - More information.
- 22 & 23 June: Edwardian Weekend - New for 2013 - rekindle the days of Edwardian splendour, travel in the rolling stock used in the filming of Downton Abbey. Summer Fair, Band concert, and Real Ale tent.
- 29 & 30 June: Model Railway Weekend - After dipping our toes in the water last year with a low-key event, which was very well received, in 2013 a bigger model show can be planned with confidence! Our two-train steam-hauled Service two timetable operates, plus additional trains hauled by the Class 33 Diesel Locomotive Number 33103 "Swordfish" - more info.
- Also in June:
- 10 & 11 August: Vintage Transport Weekend - Vintage cars, commercial vehicles, traction engines and of course, our vintage steam trains
- Also in August:
- 9 August: Murder Mystery evening on the Golden Arrow Pullman.
- 16 August: Rail Ale evening. Enjoy a steam hauled train ride, evening supper and live jazz; a range of Real Ales available at Sheffield Park, Horsted Keynes and on board the train.
- 24 & 26 August: Full Afternoon Tea on board our Lounge Car service.
- 26 & 27 October: Giants of Steam - our Autumn Gala featuring larger engines makes a welcome return to the Bluebell's calendar.
- Also in October:
- Full details of our Special Christmas services will be available later in the year.
- 7 December: Horsted Keynes Station Carol Service -
Come and join in with the Bluebell Railway Band, from 7.30pm. The Carol Service is free of charge.
- Also in December:
Return to the Bluebell Home Page or
to the Timetable - Special Event Fares & Discounts - 50th Anniversary Appeal
Visitor Info. - Museum - Trust - Catering - Contacts - What's
New - Projects - Locos - Carriages & Wagons -
Signals - History - Other - Links - Search - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member? - Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
Last updated 13 May 2013 by Richard
© Copyright, credits and