History of Kingscote Station - Kingscote after the trains
Photo copyright Terry Cole.
The train service at Kingscote ceased with the ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen) strike of 29th. May, 1955. Passenger trains continued to pass the closed station after reinstatement until the final closure (to passenger service) of the line in 1958.
Ernest William (Ernie) Marshall (born on 27th. November 1922) continued to live in the station house until 1968 with his wife Marjorie (nee Robinson), whom he married in 1946. He was employed as a Relief Signalman at East Grinstead, but was additionally paid 7/6 (37.5p) a week to keep the signal lamps lit at Kingscote to cover any emergency workings that may have been routed over the line. Kingscote signal box, like West Hoathly, would have been closed and locked out, so that the section between East Grinstead and Horsted Keynes would have been worked (certainly latterly, when condemned wagons were stored on one running line) as a single line block.
Walking along the platform in the view above from September 1964, is the Marshalls' cat Whisky (as in Black-and-White brand whisky). He came to a sticky end after sniffing a rabbit-hole that had earlier been gassed by the Permanent Way Department.
Return to Bluebell Home Page, to the Timetable or to Special Events
Kingscote: - Visitor information - History 1 - History 2 - History 3 - History 4 - Goods Yard Project - Track layout - Signalling - Signal Boxes
Visitor Info. - Museum - Trust - Catering - Contacts - What's New - Projects - Locos - Carriages & Wagons - Signals - History - Other - Links - Search - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member? - Get more involved as a Volunteer
© Content copyright Roger Barton and Martin Skrzetuszewski.
Created 15 March 2013 by Nick Beck and updated 26 January 2018 by Richard Salmon
Photographs from the Bluebell Archive.
Credits and disclaimer.