An O1 No.65 picture collection

(as featured in the Bluebell News Autumn 1997)

with our C class 1961 (10k) 65 is seen here with C class 592 between Paddock Wood and Goudhurst on the 1961 railtour "The South Eastern Limited" on 11th June. Both engines went to the Ashford steam Centre, but are now reunited during preservation at the Bluebell
An Ashford open day in 1970. Pullmans are Phyllis and Lucille. The centre was at this time rented by Mr Lewis-Evans and run as the "South Eastern Steam Centre". It was the former SER motive power depot. 65 with Phyllis and Lucille (17K)
on the Ashford turntable (15K) Its August 1969, and 65, in SECR livery is on the Ashford turntable. The engine in the background is also at the Bluebell, being H class No.263
The low axle weight of the O1 accounted for its longevity. It could go such places as the Kent and east Sussex Railway, with its very lightweight requirements. Here 65 is seen in 1954 (Jan. 2nd) leaving Tenterden Town (ex-Headcorn) for Robertsbridge with the 8.50am service On the KESR, real archive stuff! (14K)
still down memory lane, at Headcorn, 1953 (13K) Here we at Headcorn Junction on the KESR in 1953 Dec 28th) with the 10.55 service.
Finally here is 65 in Ashford works, 28th November 1964. The rods had been cut as it was expected that she would be towed to Queensborough scrapyard on the Isle of Sheppey for cutting up. The move was postponed following inspection and eventual purchase from British Railways Inside Ashford MPD 1964 (17K)

More recent photos covering its decade of service on the Bluebell Railway 1999-2009 are available in Derek Hayward's photo gallery

Return to 65 Profile