1,2. Above are seen the Boiler and the Frames. A major part of the project is the extension of the frames to the full length of the tank version of the locomotive. Work on the boiler will be the final part of the project, and has had no more than preventative maintenance so far.
3. Right: the radius rods being restored.
4. Left: Reversing link trunnions after restoration with new bushes.
5, 6. Above are the corroded liners from the coupled wheel horn guides, and one of the axle-boxes. The horn-guide liners will be machined smooth, and those on the axleboxes replaced.
7. Right: the newly arrived laser cut manganese steel horn-guide and axle-box liners.
8. Left: front pony truck stretcher.
9. Right: the crossheads prepared for grit-blasting.
10,11. Above: Trailing wheel rear spring hanger removed for modification, and we must not forget the smaller components.
12, 13. Below: a manifold and work in progress on the frames, tapping redundant rivet holes for plugs.
Go to the Standard 2 Project News page - Previous Newsletter - Locomotive's Main Page