3064 after arrival at Sheffield Park, 6 November 2007
3064 is the second of a batch of eight First Class Saloons (Nos.3063-3070) ordered in May 1954 and completed by August 1955 at Doncaster Works for the Southern Region of British Railways. It was painted in carmine and cream livery (also known as "blood and custard"), was fitted with steam heating, vacuum braking and ran on BR1 bogies.
When new they were allocated to Clapham Junction depot in South London. Here they were reserved for boat train and other special traffic duties, principally the Ocean Liner Express services which were operated between Waterloo and Southampton docks to convey passengers to and from the passenger liners which at that time were still the normal method of long distance travel. Most of the shipping companies had a named train run in connection with their sailings - "The Statesman" (United States Lines), "Union-Castle Express"," Holland-American" and the "Springbok" are examples, but perhaps the most prestigious was "The Cunarder". This was an all-First-Class train composed mainly of Pullman cars, but usually with one or two Mk.I Ocean Liner saloons in its formation, which ran in connection with the sailings of the Cunard liners Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth on the Transatlantic service.
These were the days before the widespread availability of comfortable air travel. Piston-engined aircraft such as the Boeing Stratocruiser (operated by BOAC) could make the London to New York journey in 17 hours with refuelling stops. However, any self-respecting transatlantic traveller would choose the United States (built 1952 for the United States Lines and holder of the Blue Riband) or the two pre-war built Cunarders. It was only the emergence of the British-built, jet-engined Comet 4 airliner (BOAC) and Pan American's Boeing 707, with their 6-7 hour eastbound crossing inaugurated in 1958, that began tempting travellers in numbers away from the sea voyage.
It was BR(S) practice to allocate coaches to sets. However, these FO vehicles were generally "loose" (non-allocated), being used as required on Western Section/South Western Division boat train duties. 3064 managed a short "holiday" in the West Country in September 1960, when it became the principal passenger accommodation on the Surbiton - Okehampton Car Carrier - a forerunner of the fondly-remembered Motorail network of services to holiday destinations.
Right: The interior, with seats appropriately trimmed in one of the "Festival of Britain" first-class moquettes (Neil Glaskin)
The significant service history of 3064 that we know to date, is as follows:
From the June 1963 through to the June 1965 timetable it is shown in set No.354 for Ocean Liner Boat Train duties. In June 1963 this 9 RB set comprised:
BSK 35002 MkI FK 7621 Bulleid FK 7620 Bulleid FK 7623 Bulleid FO 3064 MkI RB (unspecified) SO 3918 MkI SO 3919 MkI BSK 35003 MkI
The June 1965 formation shows set No.354 as an 8 set with no catering vehicle included:
BSK 34257 MkI FK (unspecified) MkI FK (unspecified) MkI FK (unspecified) MkI FO 3064 MkI SO 3918 MkI SO 3919 MkI BSK 34258 MkI
In June 1966 the coach was noted as "loose", and by July 1967, 3064 had been converted to air braking and electric heating but was still shown with BR1 bogies.
For the July 1967 - May 1968 timetable, 3064 is shown allocated to 8-set No.61 for Ocean Liner duties, comprising:
BCK 21265 FO 3064 FO 3065 FO 3066 FO 3067 FO 3069 FO 3070 BCK 21266NB. Our BCK, S 21271 was allocated to set No.64 at this time.
It was fitted with new lightweight B4 bogies at some point between May 1968 and April 1970.
In the May 1969 through to May 1974 timetables, it is shown in set No.55, which would have been used with others to form a complete train. The set comprised:
BCK 21251 FO 3064 FO 3065 FO 3069
May 1975 it was again shown as loose, but all the seven remaining FO vehicles are shown allocated to SWD (Ocean Liner) duties.
Later in 1975 No.3064 was withdrawn from passenger service and sent to Derby for conversion into an Engineer's coach (allocated as ADB975607 "CM&EE Test Car No.7", being given the TOPS code QXA), but this project was cancelled, and the coach lay derelict until purchased by VSOE in 1987.
In 1990 some restoration work was undertaken with the intention that the coach would operate in the Ocean Liner Express, a train which had been recreated by South West Trains to serve what had now become the cruise liner traffic at Southampton, but this project was also cancelled. Eventually the coach was sold into private ownership and stored until earlier in 2007, when full restoration to its original 1955 livery and interior decoration was undertaken.