Open Third No.1464 at Horsted Keynes (Richard Salmon)
This coach, built to a Southern Railway design by the newly formed British Railways, remained as a "loose" vehicle throughout its working life. In other words, it was not allocated to any particular set or train, but rather was used to lengthen trains or form special trains. An example of this was its use in 1968, when it was used on railtours, as one of the last Bulleid coaches in service.
It was preserved by the Merchant Navy Preservation Society, for use with Bulleid Pacific, "Clan Line". It was moved from Micheldever to Liss in 1970, and to Ashford in 1971. When forced to leave Ashford in 1978, it was purchased by the Southern Railway Rolling Stock Group, and moved to the Bluebell, where it received an overhaul, before entering traffic in May 1986.
After 19 years in service, in early 2005, it was clear that corrosion was starting to become an issue around the sidelights (windows). Rather than patch the coach up and leave it to get worse, it was decided to do the job properly and make the coach fit for hopefully another 20 years service. Details of this overhaul of the steel panelling and window frames are available as part of the Carriage & Wagon Works News.
Interior photos taken 5 years after restoration, showing the "Candy Stripe" moquette, varnished woodwork, and high gloss ceiling. If an interior restoration is carried out this thoroughly, it will continue to look smart for over 20 years, with little further attention beyond regular cleaning and attention to the moquette on the seats.
Type: Open Third
Built: Nov. 1950, underframe at Lancing, body at Eastleigh (E3581)
Original No: S1464S
Seating: 64 3rd class
Length: 64' 6"
Weight: 32 Tons
Preserved: 1969 or `70
To Bluebell: 12/5/1978