Pullman Car Company - Car No.54 - Parlour Brake Third
Car 54, which had been built in 1923, is seen in the carriage works in 2003 for an assessment of its condition. (Richard Salmon)
This coach, originally built as a Kitchen Third by Claytons, was rebuilt in 1937 as a Parlour Brake. It is a hostoric vehicle, as one of the first two 'K'-type Pullmans, with a steel underframe and separate timber body, in place of the earlier all-timber design. For the period 1942-6 when Pullman services were withdrawn, it entered ordinary service as a first class coach as LNER No.490. After the war it ran on such trains as the Devon Belle (1948-50) and in 1960, the South Wales Pullman, ending its days on BR as part of the Western Region's spare set for the Blue Pullman.
Return to Bluebell Home Page, to the Timetable or to Special Events
Carriages & Wagons - Intro - Development - Stock Lists: Carriages & Wagons - Carriage Fleet Review - Join us
C&W Works News - Operation Undercover and Football Competition - Carriage Shop - Technical Pages
Visitor Info. - Museum - Trust - Catering - Contacts - What's New - Projects - Locos - Carriages & Wagons - Signals - History - Other - Links - Search - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member? - Get more involved as a Volunteer
© Text Copyright April 1995 by Richard Salmon.
Last updated by Richard Salmon, 22 November 2017
Disclaimer and credits.