Originally designed by the United States Army Transportation Corps, this locomotive provides an interesting contrast with the rest of the fleet
as an example of North American engineering practice with the principal feature being cast steel bar main-frames. One of a large batch of shunting
locos intended to operate Europe's railways after the Allied invasion (together with British-designed Austerity locos), it was one of those found
not to be needed abroad and remained in Britain. They were delivered in black livery with USATC lettering, but a photo of the loco at Newbury
Racecourse, dated 15 March 1947, shows it in grey livery as WD 1959.
Of the surplus locomotives, fifteen were sold off to the SR who required replacements for the B4s (see 30096) which
were used to shunt Southampton Docks. The first one was purchased and trialled in 1946, while the remainder were purchased and entered SR service
in 1947. A total of fourteen entered service, modified for British usage at Eastleigh Works. SR 64 entered service in June 1947 and was to be
found at Southampton Docks in September 1947. After a short time in service, several further modifications were carried out to the locos.
Right: For the 1940's event held in May 2003, the loco was repainted into wartime livery as WD 1959 (Jon Bowers)
Below: 30064 shunting at Sheffield Park on 13 September 1981 (Late Ray Vistucis)
Although they were very successful in service, the steel fireboxes deteriorated rapidly, largely due to the untreated local water supply resulting
in a number of locos being out of service or restricted during 1951. The fireboxes were replaced and they all continued in service. To enable
their more efficient use in the docks area, some of the class were fitted with radio telephones, turbo generators and aerials from 1957. Following
the introduction of class 07 diesel shunters at Southampton in 1962, one was withdrawn, six were transferred to departmental service while the
remainder were used as shed pilots (loco-shed shunters).
30064 became the Eastleigh Works shunter. In February 1964, it was outshopped in malachite green livery, one of several chosen to be so treated
and was temporarily transferred to Guildford shed. Here it worked part of a RCTS/LCGB rail tour. Returning to Eastleigh, it late worked a rail tour
in March 1966 with sister engine 30073.
In August 1966, 30064 became Western Region stock when reallocated to Meldon Quarry. It gained the distinction of being the WR's last active steam
On withdrawal at the end of SR steam in 1967, it was sold from store at Salisbury shed to the Southern Loco Preservation Co. Ltd. and, after
several years in Hampshire, came to the Bluebell Railway along with the other SLP Co. stock in late 1971. All this SLP stock is now owned by the
Bluebell Railway. Following a number of years in use, it was withdrawn in 1983 and now awaits major boiler work.
30064 lying withdrawn in Salisbury shed yard, together with classmate 30072, in August 1967.
Photo © Nigel Kendall.
Vintage film footage on YouTube of SR 'USA' class locos in action, including many shots of 30064.
Class Introduced: 1946 on SR
Designer: US Army Transport Corps
Built: 1943, Vulcan Iron Works, Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Works No.: 4432
Total number built: Unknown
Number bought by SR: 15 (14 entered traffic)
Numbers carried: USATC 1959, SR 64 (as of 22.6.1947), BR S64, later 30064
Current status: Static display, awaiting overhaul.
Arrived on Bluebell Railway: 24 October 1971
Owner: Bluebell Railway
Length: 29ft 8ins
Weight: 46 Tons 10 cwt
Water capacity: 1,200 US Gallons
Coal capacity: 1 Ton 10 cwt
Boiler Pressure: 210 lb/sq.in
Driving Wheels: 4ft 6in
Cylinders: (2, outside) 16.5" x 24"
Tractive Effort: 21,600 lbs
Engine Brake: Steam
BR power classification: 3F