The Summer Steam Gala
was held on 5th & 6th August 2000
Celebrating the 40th year of Bluebell Railway train services.
On the Saturday, the 11.45 service from Sheffield Park passes Holywell headed by SECR No. 65 & 592 (Jon Bowers)
- Intensive Train Service - 35 minute interval in each direction
- All available locomotives in steam; including LSWR B4 "Normandy"
- Four sets of coaches in service, including:
- Metropolitan Railway coaches 387 and 394
- LBSCR First 7598
- LNWR Observation Car 15843
- GNR Directors' Saloon 706E
- The newly overhauled Bulleid Open Third 1482
Stepney and Birch Grove are seen climbing away from Horsted Keynes. (Jon Bowers)
- Five double-headed trains on the Saturday and four on Sunday
- Many different combinations of locos and rolling stock
- Locomotive and Carriage Workshops open with guided tours
- Photographic line-up of Southern Railway Maunsell locomotives at Sheffield Park
- Film show of early Bluebell footage at Horsted Keynes
- Guided walks along the Ardingly Trackbed from Horsted Keynes
- Art exhibition and "40 Years of Bluebell" display at Horsted Keynes
- Guided walks across Hill Place Viaduct c/o the Northern Extension Gang.
No.592 worked the first train of the weekend (the 9.50 from Horsted Keynes) pictured at West Hoathly. (Jon Bowers)
New: "GricerBus" Service
A special free bus service for photographers, called at popular photographic locations between Sheffield Park and Horsted Keynes, and also served Horsted Keynes village.
No. 75027 passing Holywell with the 10.35 on the Saturday from Sheffield Park. (Jon Bowers)
No. 73082 "Camelot" passes Nobles farm with the Saturday 11.10 service from Sheffield Park.
No. 473 "Birch Grove" seen coasting towards Three Arch bridge with the 11.07 from Kingscote, again on the Saturday. (Jon Bowers)
Return to Bluebell Home Page,
to the Timetable or to Special Events
Visitor Info. - Catering - Contacts - What's New - Extension - Locos - Carriages - Signals - History - Other - Links - Search & Index - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member? Support us by applying for our Visa Card
Page last updated 8 August 2000 by Richard Salmon.
Photos courtesy of and © Jon Bowers, 5/8/00
© Copyright and disclaimer.