John Piper's photo shows 80100 at Barry Scrapyard, with the Bluebell team in July 1976, two years before it was rescued by the Bluebell.
The last in a long line of large tank locomotives to have been built at Brighton Works, the Standard 4 tanks were closely associated with the last years of the Bluebell Line under British Railways.
The only one of the three Standard 4 Tanks on the Bluebell to belong to the railway, ironically this particular locomotive was not a Southern based engine in its BR days. It was allocated new to Plaistow shed (33A) from 31 January 1955, being transferred to Tilbury (33B) when Plaistow closed on 2 November 1959. Following the electrification of the LT&SR lines, 80100 was briefly shedded at Stratford (30A) from 23 June 1962 before being shedded at Shrewsbury (89A) from 21 July 1962 until its withdrawl for scrapping on 24 July 1965. As with the others it survived at Barry scrapyard long enough to be saved for preservation, arriving at the Bluebell in 1978. It is a long-term restoration objective once the overhaul of 78059/84030 has been completed. Many of the required parts, missing from the engine after its time at Barry, have been obtained.
The photos from Geoff Pethick show the locomotive shortly after arrival at the Bluebell in October 1978 (left), and a little later (below).
Class: Standard Class 4MT Tank
Class Introduced: 1951
Designer: R.A. Riddles
Built: 1955 at Brighton Works
Purpose: Mixed traffic
Total number built: 155
Arrived on Bluebell Railway: October 1978
Owner: Bluebell Railway
Current status: Stored under a tarpaulin in ex-Barry Scrapyard condition.
Length: 44ft 10in overall
Weight: 86 tons 13 cwt
Water capacity: 2,000 gallons
Coal capacity: 3.5 tons
Boiler pressure: 225 lb/sq.in.
Driving wheels: 5ft 8in diameter
Pony & trailing wheels: 3ft diameter
Cylinders: (2, outside) 18" x 28"
Tractive effort: 25,100 lbs
BR power classification: 4MT
Another photo showing 80100 at Barry Scrapyard, before being rescued by the Bluebell
Your ideal Film/TV location?