Tickets on sale Vistor Info What's New Shop Search the site FAQ Links Details for the enthusiast How you can join in or help us Contacts Navigate
Bluebell Railway Preservation Society web site Bluebell Railway web site
Donate to the Paving the Way appeal

Locomotives - Operational Locos - Locos under overhaul - Locos on static display - Locos formerly based on the Bluebell
Loco Roster - Loco Stock List - Loco Works News - Join the Loco Dept

The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service Email Newsletter


British Railways Standard Class 5MT 73082 'Camelot'

Owned by the 73082 Camelot Locomotive Society

73082 Camelot

Camelot approaching Kingscote - Hiroshi Naito 2 May 1998

Camelot in 1962 Right: 73082 is seen leaving New Milton with a semi-fast from Waterloo during the summer of 1962.
Photo © Nigel Kendall - SteamWeb.

'Camelot' was one of the Southern Region's allocation of Standard 5s, and when the King Arthur class, which they replaced, were being withdrawn, a staff suggestion led to the names being transferred to the new engines. Modern engines with roller bearings, highly capable and easy to maintain, they were withdrawn long before they were worn out thanks to BR's rush to get rid of steam in the 1960s.

Camelot in 1962 Left: 73082 is seen leaving New Milton with a local for Bournemouth on 25th May 1965. The headcode indicates the train originated from Guildford.
Photo © Nigel Kendall - SteamWeb.

A survivor of Barry Scrapyard, 'Camelot' is the only remaining one of these named Standard 5s. It was returned to working order thanks to the dedication of the Camelot Society, which carried out fund-raising and engineering work. The latter included the construction of a brand-new tender body, fitted to frames recovered from a South Wales Ironworks, since, like so many Barry locos, it had lost its tender. It was a core member of the Bluebell's loco fleet for the decade after it returned to traffic in 1995.

In November 2002 Bachmann released a fine model of Camelot, modelled as it has been restored, with the early BR emblem on the tender. This has provoked some comment concerning its authenticity, but it is indeed correct. According to the records Camelot was named in August 1959, and one photo the Camelot Locomotive Society have shows her at Eastleigh with the old style emblem in June 1960. They have several others taken in 1959 as well. Modellers therefore have the option of running the loco with or without the nameplates, and either representation would be historically accurate.

Its next overhaul was completed in October 2015, carrying the early BR tender emblem (which enabled it to run authentically either with or without its nameplate). At the end of 2020, with the country entering a third Coronavirus lockdown, the opportunity was taken to carry out some remedial work on 'Camelot' in the Bluebell's workshop. A problem had arisen with leaks at the foundation ring rivets, and to allow these to be replaced, the boiler was lifted. Although there were still 4 years remaining on the boiler ticket, while it was out of the frames other work was carried out as necessary, including partial retubing, gaining a new 10 year boiler ticket. It now emerged carrying the later tender emblem, with the cabside also repainted to portray its appearance in that period.

73087 'Linette' on shed - Andy Kelly - 11-12 October 2019
Class: BR Standard Class 5
Wheels: 4-6-0
Class Introduced: 1951
Designer: Robert Riddles, with design work done at the ex-LNER Doncaster Drawing Office
Purpose: Mixed traffic
Total number built: 172

Length: 62ft 7in
Weight: Engine: 76 tons 4 cwt, Tender (BR1B): 47 tons 4 cwt
Water capacity: 4,725 gallons
Coal capacity: 7 tons
Boiler pressure: 225 lb/
Driving wheels: 6ft 2in diameter
Cylinders: (2, outside) 19" x 28"
Tractive effort: 26,120 lbs
BR power classification: 5MT

Right: No. 73082 (in the guise of 73087 'Linette') at Sheffield Park, overnight of 11-12 October 2019 (Andy Kelly)

Number: 73082
Built: June 1955, Derby Works
Initial allocation: Stewarts Lane
Named: 'Camelot' (August 1959)
Withdrawn from BR service: June 1966 (Guildford)
Purchased from Barry scrapyard: 31 January 1979
Arrived on Bluebell Railway: 26 October 1979
Tender chassis purchased from Briton Ferry steelworks: 1978
Owner: The 73082 Camelot Locomotive Society, Registered Charity No. 1195698
Previously operational: 28 October 1995 - June 2005
                            25 October 2015 - December 2020
Latest overhaul completed: September 2021
Current status: Available for service

See another photo of Camelot

Full details on the 73082 Camelot Locomotive Society web site and their Facebook page

splash The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service
Return to BRPS Home Page, to the Timetable or to Special Events
Locos Intro - Operational Locos - Locos under overhaul - Locos on static display - Locos formerly based on the Bluebell
Loco Roster - Loco Stock List - Loco Works News - Join the Loco Dept

Visitor Info. - Museum - Trust - Catering - Contacts - What's New - Projects - Locos - Carriages & Wagons - Signals - History - Other - Links - Search - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member?     -     Get more involved as a Volunteer

Your ideal Film/TV location?

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional! Last updated 4 February 2022 by Richard Salmon.
© Copyright BRPS.             Privacy Policy