Tickets on sale Vistor Info What's New Shop Search the site FAQ Links Details for the enthusiast How you can join in or help us Contacts Navigate
Bluebell Railway Preservation Society web site Bluebell Railway web site
Donate to the Jewel in the Crown appeal

Carriages & Wagons - Stock Lists: Carriages & Wagons - C&W Works News - Operation Undercover - Technical Pages - Join us

The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service Email Newsletter

 

Southern Railway Bulleid Open Third
No. 1464, built by BR in 1950


SR Bulleid Open Third 1464 - Richard Salmon - 28 June 1992

Open Third No. 1464 at Horsted Keynes, 28 June 1992 (Richard Salmon)

This coach, built to a Southern Railway design by the newly formed British Railways, remained as a "loose" vehicle throughout its working life. In other words, it was not allocated to any particular set or train, but rather was used to lengthen trains or form special trains. An example of this was its use in 1968, when it was used on railtours, as one of the last Bulleid coaches in service.

It was preserved by the Merchant Navy Preservation Society, for use with Bulleid Pacific, "Clan Line". It was moved from Micheldever to Liss in 1970, and to Ashford in 1971. When forced to leave Ashford in 1978, it was purchased by the Southern Railway Rolling Stock Group, and moved to the Bluebell, where it received an overhaul, before entering traffic in May 1986.

Interior of 1464 - Richard Salmon - 1991 Interior of 1464 - Richard Salmon - 1991

Interior photos taken 5 years after restoration (Richard Salmon), showing the "Candy Stripe" moquette, varnished woodwork, and high gloss ceiling. If an interior restoration is carried out this thoroughly, it will continue to look smart for over 20 years, with little further attention beyond regular cleaning and attention to the moquette on the seats.

After 19 years in service, in early 2005, it was clear that corrosion was starting to become an issue around the sidelights (windows). Rather than patch the coach up and leave it to get worse, it was decided to do the job properly and make the coach fit for hopefully another 20 years service. Details of this overhaul of the steel panelling and window frames are available as part of the Carriage & Wagon Works News.


1464 at Horsted Keynes - Richard Salmon - 22 October 2011
Type: Open Third
Built: Nov. 1950, underframe at Lancing, body at Eastleigh (E3581)
Original No: S1464S
Seating: 64 3rd class
Length: 64' 6"
Weight: 32 Tons
Withdrawn: 1968
Preserved: 1969 or `70
Owner: Southern Railway Rolling Stock Group (25% Bluebell Railway Trust)
To Bluebell: 12 May 1978

Right: 1464 at Horsted Keynes, 22 October 2011 (Richard Salmon)

splash The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service
Return to BRPS Home Page, to the Timetable or to Special Events
Carriages & Wagons - Intro - Development - Stock Lists: Carriages & Wagons - Carriage Fleet Review - Join us
C&W Works News - Operation Undercover - Football Competition - Carriage Shop - Technical Pages

Visitor Info. - Museum - Trust - Catering - Contacts - What's New - Projects - Locos - Carriages & Wagons - Signals - History - Other - Links - Search - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member?     -     Get more involved as a Volunteer

Your ideal Film/TV location?


Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional! Page created April 1995 by Richard Salmon.
Last updated by Richard Salmon, 26 December 2021
© Copyright BRPS.             Privacy Policy