B461224 - Steel drop-side "Medfit" open goods wagon (built in 1952)
This is an example of a British Railways design of 13 ton capacity "medium goods wagon" (compare with older design 474558 and M480222). Built at the former SR workshops at Ashford (Kent), B461224 was one of 600 built in 1952 to lot No.2488. Although built to the same BR diagram 1/019 as B458525 this steel-bodied wagon was fitted with vacuum brake from new, but with "push" brake rigging and "shoe" suspension.
By 1970, this and many similar vehicles were transferred into departmental use with the Civil Engineer of the Southern Region (gaining a "D" prefix to their numbers) for carrying spoil and spent ballast from engineering work sites to tips like those at Hoo Junction or Godstone. The wagon was withdrawn from use and purchased in 1973.
Return to Bluebell Home Page, or use "Back" to return to where you were
Carriage & Wagon - Intro - Stock Lists: Carriages & Wagons - Carriage Fleet Review
Last updated by Richard Salmon, 1 December 2005
Text © copyright Martin Skrzetuszewski, May 2003
© Copyright, disclaimer and credits.