Stock Lists: Carriages & Wagons -
C&W News - SR Coach Group - Goods Division -
Operation Undercover -
Useful suppliers for those involved in the restoration of vintage railway
These pages aim to act as a coordinating page for all technical information
concerning vintage carriage restoration, and is maintained on behalf of the UK Heritage Railways Web-site.
Suppliers & Services:
See also The
Carriage Exchange Suppliers page, and the Railcar Web Site, a list of suppliers
applicable to DMU restoration and maintenance. Substantial commonality of
course exists between DMUs and hauled stock, so these are further useful
- Adshead Ratcliffe Arboseal Butyl sealant for windows etc
Derby Rd, Belper Derby DE56 1WJ
Tel: 01773 826661
- AJ Wells & Sons - Vitreous Enamellers
Bishops Way, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 5WS
Telephone: 01983 537766 or 01983 537770
Fax: 01983 537788
- Anderson Carriage & Wagon - Many spares for brake systems, door locks, steam heating, Mk1 prefab steel sections, dynamo pulleys & belts, Mk1 window parts, aluminium door edge extrusions, pins, bushes, wood beads made to order, coach signs interior & exterior, also exchange locks, brake cylinders, DA valves, release valves.
5 Willowfield Crescent, Bradford, BD2 1LJ
Tel: 07729 542279 Fax: 01274 612732
- Ansell Jones Forgings - Manufacturers of forged lifting
Tel: 01698 882386, Fax:01698 886852
Web site: www.anselljones.com, Email:
- Armstrong Oilers - Axlebox oiler pads
North Yorkshire YO18 7AJ
Tel: 01947 605611
- Arnold (Tarpaulins) Ltd - see William Arnold (Tarpaulins), below
- Birmingham and Leyland - Suspension Rubbers
P.O. Box 2
Golden Hill Lane
Lancs PR5 1UB
Tel: 01772 436401
- C.A.R. Services (UK) - Rolling stock sales, Carriage technical drawings and maintenance manuals
16, Peverel Drive, Whittington, Oswestry, Shropshire SY11 4PN
Tel: 01691 681090, 07714 981376
Web Site: www.carservicesukltd.com
- Camira Fabrics (including the Holdsworth transport brand, and Furtex) for commercial vehicle and public transport fabric applications.
The Watermill, Wheatley Park, Mirfield, West Yorkshire, WF14 8HE
Tel: 01924 490591
Fax: 01924 495605 / 491280
Web site: www.camirafabrics.com or e-mail: email@example.com
- Dunn & Son - Marqueterie
8 Wharf Road
Tel: 01245 354452
- Heritage Trimmings Ltd. - Luggage rack netting, reproduction fabrics and fabric trimmings
The Old Mess Room, Colombo Street, Derby, DE23 8LW
Tel 01332 343953, fax 01332 298443
Web site: Heritage Trimmings Ltd. or e-mail
- Ian Riley - Railway Workshop Services
East Lancs Loco Works
Bury BL9 OTY
Tel: 0161 764 2892, Fax: 0161 763 5191
- J. A. Milton - Hessian, springs, and other trimming/upholstery supplies and tools.
Web site: J A Milton Upholstery Supplies
Tel: 01691 624023 or 0870 777 8934
- Mitco - Andrew Mitchell & Co. - Traditional coach roofing
Bates Business Centre,
The Old Brickworks,
Essex RM3 0JF
Tel: 01708 370800 (Fax: 01708 377190)
Web site: Mitco
- Mudfords (Sheffield) Ltd - Synthetic carriage
400, Petre St
South Yorkshire S4 8LU
Tel: 0114 243 3033
- Pickerskill-Kaye - Carriage Door Slam Locks, striking plates and
W. Yorks LS10 2PP
Tel: 0113 277 5531
Web site: Pickerskill-Kaye or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Potts & Ward, Woodcocks Ltd - Lino and other flooring materials, including marmoleum
Lion Buildings Warehouse, Crowhurst Road,
Hollingbury, Brighton, Sussex BN1 8AF
Tel: 01273 557211, Fax 01273 557093
Web site: pwwflooring.com
- Railway Documentation and Drawing Services Ltd (RDDS) - Carriage
Room 2, Itchen House,
rtc Business Park,
Derby, DE24 8UP.
- Railway Reprints - Reprints of "Railway Carriages and Wagons" by
Sidney Stone (1903)
58 Coombe Vale Road
Devon TQ14 9EW
- Railway Wheelset & Brake Ltd - Tyres, Axles, Vac brake bits etc.
280 Bawtry Road
Rotherham S66 OJJ
Tel: 01709 542907
- The Real Wrought Iron Co. - puddled wrought iron ("Low Moor"
C.Topp & Co, Thirsk, UK or The Real Wrought Iron Co., Thirsk, U.K.
- Red Kite Signs & Engraving - specialising initially in the manufacture of engraved plastic laminate and metal labelling.
John Robinson: Phone 07976 837688 or 01509 236638, or e-mail.
- Richard Perian - specialist railway nuts and bolts including rivet
2-10 Gopsal St
Corner Cardigan St
Tel 0121 359 1762
- Samuel Wilkes (Engineering) Ltd - Railway carriage door-hinges and
PO Box 1, Walsall, Birmingham.
or: Newfield Close, Walsall, West Midlands WS2 7PB
Tel: 01922 634567
Web site: www.wilkes-engineering.co.uk
- Severn Valley Railway Engineering - some Carriage Repair Services
including: Vacuum brake overhauls, Door lock testing and overhaul, Casting patterns, Timber moulding templates, and new Lavatory pans.
- South Devon Railway - GWR Carriage Roof
Ventilators and much more besides - tyre turning and fitting axles to wheels.
If you are interested phone Rob Le Chevalier at the SDR workshop
on 01364 - 643461.
- Springline Spares - Carriage Springs
Sheffield S4 7TA
Tel: 0114 275015, Fax: 0114 275 3318
- Stocksigns - Vitreous Enamel - both station signage and carriage components.
Ormside Way, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 2LG
Web Site - Email
Tel. 01737 764 764 - Fax. 01737 763 763
- Swindon Historic Castings Ltd - no longer in operation, and its historic patterns are now dispersed as follows:
This information taken from the former website of SHC, 24 August 2011.
- Great Western Locomotive patterns are located with the Great Western Society. That is principally the A and B series of patterns.
- Great Western Coach patterns and Wolverton patterns are located with the Swindon and Cricklade Railway. That is principally the R, L and W series of patterns.
- Eastleigh and Ashford patterns, are located with the Bluebell Railway. That is principally the J series of patterns.
- Steam Crane patterns are located with the East Somerset Railway.
- Gresham & Craven Brake Cylinder patterns are located with the South Devon Railway.
- Hunslet and various industrial patterns are located with the Kent & East Sussex Railway. That is principally the C series of patterns.
- Patterns have also been located with specific interest groups: A number of BR Standard patterns transferred to the Standard Locomotive Owners Association, and LMS patterns to the Patriot locomotive group. Appropriate patterns for the Galloping Gertie project have been transferred to that locomotive group, and Vale of Rheidol have received patterns appropriate to their railway.
- A large selection including LNER, LMS and Diesel patterns have been transferred to Tysley Locomotive Works.
- Patterns that are the property of third party organisations, such as the Davies and Metcalfe patterns, have been returned to their owners.
- Contact Timesegment Limited for queries relating to Steam-related Davies and Metcalfe, GWR rail chairs, and Gresham & Craven Drawings. Timesegment Limited will also continue to supply items that were previously marketed through Swindon Historic Castings Ltd, such as Headboards, Wagon plates and certain other spares where they were the owners of the patterns.
- Signalling components will continue to be available from the current suppliers.
- Tested Spring Co Ltd - Carriage Springs
West Midlands B69 2NG
Tel: 0121 5572304, Fax: 0121 5574031
- Tearne and Sons Ltd - Crests and transfers
41-45 Hanley Street
Birmingham B19 3SP
Tel: 0121 359 1717, Fax: 0121 359 4040
- Timbmet Ltd - Hardwood
P.O. Box 39, Crawley Works, Cumnor Hill, Oxford OX2 9PP
Web site: Timbmet
Tel: 01865 862223, Fax: 01865 864367 e-mail: email@example.com
Also Rochdale and Glasgow.
- T.R.Williamson - coach paints and roof-bedding compound
Web site: Williamsons
N.Yorks HG4 1TP
Phone: 01765 607711 (Fax 01765 607908)
- William Arnold (Tarpaulins) Ltd - Heavy duty tarpaulins for covering
PO BOX 1251, Barking, Essex, IG11 1AH
Phone: Main Order Hotline 0208 594 1500 (Fax 0208 594 7773)
Web site: www.tarpaulins.co.uk
If anyone has suitable web pages or contact details which they would like to
have listed on this page, please contact the Bluebell's web site editor, Richard Salmon.
Please note that neither the Bluebell Railway nor the Heritage Railway
Association are responsible for any of the advice or other information on these
pages, nor can they be considered as recommending the suppliers listed above.
The above is purely a list of suppliers which we or other railways have used in
This page is part of the Carriage Technical
Return to BRPS Home Page,
to the Timetable or to Special
Carriages & Wagons -
Stock Lists: Carriages & Wagons -
Carriage Fleet Review -
C&W Works News - SR Coach Group - Goods Division -
Operation Undercover -
Carriage Shop -
Visitor Info. -
What's New -
Carriages & Wagons -
Why not become a BRPS Member? -
Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
Last update 11 July 2020 by Richard Salmon,
with thanks to Tony Funnell, Martin Lock and Sheina Foulkes.