News of the Brighton Atlantic Project
28 September 2001
Physical work has focussed on the tender frame.
Frank Glue has been removing all the unwanted parts fitted after its conversion,
seen here on 22 April.
Repairs have been made to the ends of the rear buffer beam which had been damaged in its later life.
Removal of wagon label clips from the frames revealed old paintwork.
This picture shows that underneath the layers of black there is Southern green,
visible in the bottom part of the picture.
Below this green there is more black,
and directly on the primer on the metal surface is a layer of dark red,
dating from its time running with a B4 locomotive in the "Improved Engine Green" livery.
It proved impossible to remove a sample of this colours as the paint was too brittle.
More pictures taken of the project
including the large-size originals of those shown here,
can be found here.
More information about the Brighton Atlantic Project can be found at the
There are also background news items about the project.
More recent news updates
- More photos of the project (1999-2002).
- March 2002: Modification of front end of tender.
- November 2004: Loco Frames ordered.
- Feb 2005 - Bogie frames arrive - site cleared for construction of the shed.
- Dec 2005 - Loco main frames arrive - tender frames nearly completed - start of construction of the shed.
- 2006 - Loco driving wheel castings delivered - drilling of the main frames and hornguides - building of the shed completed.
- 2007 - Main locomotive frames erected.
- 2008 - Components for the cylinders and valve chest delivered - frames riveted - forged billets for connecting and coupling rods delivered.
- 2009 - First motion parts water-jet cut from forged blanks - bogie frames assembled.
- 2010 - Cylinders and valve chests fabricated, air brake cylinders completed, bogie and trailing wheelsets completed.
- 2011 - Coupling rods and axleboxes delivered, reverser mechanism completed, crossheads cast.
- 2012 - Valve and cylinder liners fitted - lifting and reversing arms and axlebox crowns delivered - castings for mudhole doors, regulator and whistle valves, reversing shaft clutch, blast-pipe cap, crosshead slippers, 'J' pipe and eight eccentric halves received - Bogie and trailing axle now support the frames - Valve chest and cylinders fitted to frames, covers fitted, and pressure tested.
- 2013 - Cylinders, valves, slidebars and crossheads completed - driving wheels completed - valve gear components delivered - lifting frames constructed.
- 2014 - Weigh (reversing) shaft and air-clutch fitted, axleboxes metalled, machined and fitted, wheel rotators constructed, eccentric rods, valve and reversing gear, pipework for brakes and steam heat completed, locomotive wheeled, cylinders clad and crossheads fitted.
- 2015 - Rolling Chassis completed with all motion erected. Running plates and splashers completed, along with cab sides and front.
- 2016 - Connecting and coupling rods fitted, valves set. Superheater header delivered. Revision of boiler internal pipework completed. Cab roof riveted together and fitted. Mud-hole patches welded into boiler. Flue tubes (with screw ends welded on) delivered.
- 2017 - Major progress on the boiler overhaul, and with the safety valves.
- 2018 - Boiler tubes fitted, tender made mobile, complex parts of the boiler cladding made.
- Most recent news.
Older news updates
Return to Bluebell Home Page,
to the Timetable or to Special
Atlantic Project - Background - Latest Progress - Donation form - Sponsor a component
Visitor Info. - Museum - Trust - Catering - Contacts - What's
New - Projects - Locos - Carriages & Wagons -
Signals - History - Other - Links - Search - FAQ
Locos Intro - Operational Locos - Locos under overhaul - Locos on static sisplay - Bluebell locos on loan - Locos formerly based on the Bluebell
Loco Roster - Loco Stock List -
Works News - Join the Loco
Why not become a BRPS Member? -
Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
Last updated 28 September 2001 by Lewis Nodes and 30 July 2019 by Richard Salmon.
© Copyright, disclaimer and credits.