A rare survivor of the Period 1 'all-door' LMS style, this side-corridor third was built at Derby in 1924 as No. 16782 and renumbered as No. 1272 in 1933. Withdrawn from service, in Scotland, in the early 1960s it was converted into a travelling dormitory for restaurant car staff, with four berths per compartment. It was designed for restaurant car crews sent to seaside resorts to cover un-balanced summer Saturday workings but this duty was short-lived.
It was acquired by the Bluebell Railway in 1971 after further departmental service as a dormitory for Hovercraft maintenance staff at Dover Marine, and for two decades provided volunteer sleeping accommodation at Sheffield Park. When replaced in 1993, it went for preservation and hopefully eventual restoration at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley.