London & South Western Railway
34ft Family Saloon No.25
The carriage body on arrival at Horsted Keynes, 18 October 2005
(main photos: Chris Dadson)
As can be seen from the diagram on the right, accommodation consisted of a first class saloon and separate compartment, lavatory, second-class compartment for servants,
and a luggage compartment. It would have been hired for the exclusive use of a family for a specific journey, being added to the train as required.
The carriage was one of six such 6-wheeled saloons, built with a low arc roof, as was the LSWR style of the time. However the roof style for new carriages changed radically
just a few years later and, to keep such a prestigious carriage looking modern, at some time in the mid-1890's the roof was reconstructed in the new semi-elliptical form.
It was "ciphered" in June 1911 (i.e. removed from the capital stock register and, with a 0 preceding its old number, was kept in reserve for occasional use). In 1923,
on the formation of the Southern Railway, it was renumbered as 0905 and then in May 1926 was returned to capital stock list as First No.7937. It became part of set 339,
together with mainly former SECR 6-wheelers, and used for excursions etc. At some stage it was converted for use as a brake vehicle (the Southern "Guard" lettering being
visible on one of the luggage compartment doors), finally being withdrawn from service in April 1934.
After withdrawal, like many other such carriages, it was sold, without its underframe, for use as a domestic dwelling. It was delivered to Yarcombe, Devon, in the company
of LCDR 3rd No.3188, where it remained, lived in, until the death of its owner. Its new owners were keen to see the carriages preserved,
and once planning permission was granted for a replacement building on the site both were made available to the Bluebell. The transport costs were kindly covered, at short
notice, by the Bluebell Railway Trust, and the move was coordinated by Peter Milnes. The photo to the right, taken from the planning application for redevelopment, shows "The Coaches" as they were prior to demolition and removal to the Bluebell in 2005.
The vehicle is of considerable interest, being an unusually intact survivor in many respects. The sections of body-side removed should be fairly easy to replace, and
most of the original doors have survived in remarkable condition. It retained to the end its large Beresford silver-plated folding hand-basin, which has now been
removed for safe keeping.
The carriage body is stored under a tarpaulin at Horsted Keynes, sitting temporarily on the underframe of former SR Bulleid coach 4035.
Type: Originally 6-wheeled 1st/2nd saloon (diagram DB9), later Brake First (SR Diagram 594)
Built: Birmingham Carriage & Wagon Co., 1885
Original No: 25
Other Nos: 025 (June 1911), SR 0905 (1923), 7937 (May 1926)
Seating: Originally 15 1st class and seven 2nd class
Withdrawn: 21 April 1934
To Bluebell: 18 October 2005
Return to Bluebell Home Page,
to the Timetable or to Special
Carriages & Wagons -
Intro - Stock Lists:
Carriage Fleet Review -
Technical Pages -
C&W Works News
Visitor Info. -
What's New -
Carriages & Wagons -
Why not become a BRPS Member? -
Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
© Copyright Richard Salmon, 7 November 2005.
Photos © copyright Chris Dadson.
Page last updated by Jon Elphick, 7 July 2017 and Richard Salmon, 15 June 2018.
Disclaimer and credits.