LBSCR Stroudley Carriage No.992 was built in 1880, became part of this bungalow, probably in the 1920s, and was recovered by the Bluebell Railway on 21 May 2008. In a joint operation, the North London Railway carriage which sat at the front of the property was recovered the same day by the Furness Railway Trust. The photos above, taken by Trevor back in 2000, show the NLR carriage at the front of the property in West Wittering, and the LBSCR carriage at the rear.
The photo on the right shows the two carriages, after removal of the overall roof, on 19th May 2008. The arrangement, with a central corridor giving access to "rooms" formed by compartments of the carriages, was very common for such bungalows.
The next two photos show the North London Railway carriage (Second class, No.106) being lifted out on 21st May 2008.
The next five photos (above, left and below) show the LBSCR carriage, after removal of the overall roof, and the during the lift onto the flat-bed lorry.
The way the carriages have been supported clear of the ground on brick pillars and with timber bearers, with ventilation beneath the floor, has ensured the survival of the carriages in excellent condition. Indeed, the timber bearers themselves can be seen being re-used to support the carriage bodies on the flat beds of the lorries.
The last two photos above show a "Smoking" etched glass quarter-light (window) in No.992, and the two coaches ready to depart.
Contrary to earlier reports, The Crescent is in West Wittering, since the boundary between the Witterings ran down the back of the street, with the result that even some local residents thought it was in East Wittering!
The main web page for No.992 has photos showing the carriage on arrival at the Bluebell.