This coach had only four passenger compartments, with a large, flat-sided luggage area taking up the rest of the length. Built as part of a four-coach set for
Waterloo - Portsmouth services, the set was augmented in traffic by two dining vehicles and a composite coach. It remained on these services until the 1937
electrification when, still running in a seven-coach dining set, it was moved to the Waterloo - Bournemouth - Weymouth services, where it displaced older "Ironclad" stock.
In 1947 the set was formally recognised as a six-coach set to which a loose dining car would be added. In mid-1951 this became an eight-coach set, also available
for use between Waterloo and Salisbury. It remained on these main-line services and other important inter-regional services until the set was withdrawn in February 1962.
It was then stripped internally and became a spray-coach for Chipman Chemicals' weed-killing train, housing large tanks. After purchase by the Bluebell it was cleared
internally and served for over a decade as the Carriage & Wagon Department Exhibition Coach. It has now retired from this duty, and awaits its turn for eventual restoration.
In view of its low potential seating capacity, it was thought it would claim a relatively low priority. However it is now considered that it could play a key role, and attract grant funding for its restoration, if modified to enable access to the Maunsell set for passengers in wheelchairs.
Type: Corridor Brake Third
Built: 1930 at Eastleigh (E487)
Original No: 3724
Other Nos: S3724S, CWT 7
Seating: 32 3rd class
Weight: 32 tons
To Bluebell: 1987