Bluebell Railway Atlantic Group
December 2004, February 2005 progress
Below is a photo showing the completed tender frames.
8 February 2005
See the news report from Lewis Nodes
The boiler has been moved nearer the workshop in order to clear the site for the new shed.
December 24th 2004
Christmas present arrives!
The latest news is that the frames have been cut, and that the flat frame pack (minus mainframes which have gone to Pridhams) arrived at Sheffield Park on Monday afternoon (see photo left). At 2 and a half tons this is the biggest bit of raw steelwork to arrive for some time! The main frames are at Pridhams to be joggled, and are expected to arrive in the spring.
Further good news is that outline planning permission has been granted for the proposed new building.
More recent news updates
- 2005 - Loco main frames arrive - tender frames nearly completed - start of construction of the shed.
- 2006 - Loco driving wheel castings delivered - drilling of the main frames and hornguides - building of the shed completed.
- 2007 - Main locomotive frames erected.
- 2008 - Components for the cylinders and valve chest delivered - frames riveted - forged billets for connecting and coupling rods delivered.
- 2009 - First motion parts water-jet cut from forged blanks - bogie frames assembled.
- 2010 - Cylinders and valve chests fabricated, air brake cylinders completed, bogie and trailing wheelsets completed.
- 2011 - Coupling rods and axleboxes delivered, reverser mechanism completed, crossheads cast.
- 2012 - Valve and cylinder liners fitted - lifting and reversing arms and axlebox crowns delivered - castings for mudhole doors, regulator and whistle valves, reversing shaft clutch, blast-pipe cap, crosshead slippers, 'J' pipe and eight eccentric halves received - Bogie and trailing axle now support the frames - Valve chest and cylinders fitted to frames, covers fitted, and pressure tested.
- 2013 - Cylinders, valves, slidebars and crossheads completed - driving wheels completed - valve gear components delivered - lifting frames constructed.
- 2014 - Weigh (reversing) shaft and air-clutch fitted, axleboxes metalled, machined and fitted, wheel rotators constructed, eccentric rods, valve and reversing gear, pipework for brakes and steam heat completed, locomotive wheeled, cylinders clad and crossheads fitted.
- 2015 - Rolling Chassis completed with all motion erected. Running plates and splashers completed, along with cab sides and front.
- 2016 - Connecting and coupling rods fitted, valves set. Superheater header delivered. Revision of boiler internal pipework completed. Cab roof riveted together and fitted. Mud-hole patches welded into boiler. Flue tubes (with screw ends welded on) delivered.
- Most recent news.
Older news updates
A fund raising appeal for the cash required to complete the project was launched in 2000, and a combination of gifts made via the Bluebell Railway Trust, and standing orders set up to provide a steady income to the project have now made over a third of the total available. Whilst this has provided funding for the present work, more is going to be needed to complete the project, and the best way in which you can help is by setting up a small, regular, standing order to the Bluebell Railway Trust under Gift Aid, since this enables the Trust to reclaim the basic rate tax you have paid, and (if you are a higher rate tax-payer) enables you to reclaim some tax as well.
A combined Donation, GiftAid and Standing Order form is available as a pdf document.
For further details contact David Jones.
A donation is made to this project when you buy Historical Transport Film
Return to Bluebell Home Page,
to the Timetable or to Special
Atlantic Project - Background - Latest Progress - Donation form
Visitor Info. - Museum - Trust - Catering - Contacts - What's
New - Projects - Locos - Carriages & Wagons -
Signals - History - Other - Links - Search - FAQ
Locos Intro - Operational Locos - Locos Under Overhaul - Locos on Static Display - Bluebell Locos on loan - Locos Formerly Based on the Bluebell
Loco Roster - Loco Stock List -
Works Photo News - Join the Loco
Why not become a BRPS Member? -
Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
Page maintained by Richard Salmon.
© Copyright, disclaimer and credits.