Bluebell Railway web site:
Please be aware that due to the historical nature of this page, some of the links on it may be out of date.
Site Update Archive 2000
The Current What's New, the 2001 archive, the 2002 archive, the 2003 archive and the 2004 archive pages contain all the recent update information.
Also see the 1999 and 1997-8 "What was new" archive pages.
Photographic reports 2000:
28 December 2000:
- Updates to main pages following completion of Santa Special services. There will be major updates in the new year.
- Due to an embankment slip, trains are unable to run to Kingscote until further notice. A new page is available with full details of the revised servicewhich will operate between Sheffield Park and Horsted Keynes, with our Bus service linking Horsted Keynes to East Grinstead.
- New Year Vintage Trains 30 Dec - 1 Jan. Updated details here.
- Update to Carriage & Wagon page, including a photo of, and appeal for, any help in locating suitable luggage rack brackets for the restoration of SECR Birdcage coach 3363.
- Update to the Loco Roster showing what locos should be operating between Boxing Day and the New Year (all of them over 100 years old).
- Golden Arrow Pullman Dining Train dates and other information for 2001.
- Changes to the various phone numbers at Sheffield Park on the contacts and catering (and other) pages. The old phone numbers continue to work for the present, but the new system improves flexibility, and includes a new direct line for the bookshop.
- Second update to the Loco Roster, including the locos that should be in use this weekend.
- Minor update to the Loco Roster.
- Update to WAP pages for special events, and more information about access to the railway by bus. If you're on the move, point your wap phone to: wap.bluebellrailway.co.uk
- Minor update to information about the Memories of the LBSCR event this weekend. "Fenchurch" will be on public display, although possibly remaining inside the loco works, together with another Brighton-built engine also under overhaul, 80151.
- A new page from Peter Richards with Bluebell Railway Public Train Information for the coming week. Includes details of any deviation from published timetables, expected locos and carriage formations. Links to this from other pages will appear in the next few days.
- Update to the page for the LNWR observation car, with new photo of the carriage in LMS livery.
- Update to the Introduction to the Carriage Fleet including details of the LNWR Semi-Royal Saloon 806, "Eagle" and the Stroudley 4-wheeled Third.
- Update to pages for LMS sleeping cars 603 and 623, with new photos of the carriages in LMS livery.
- Update to information about the Memories of the LBSCR event.
- Advanced notice of dates for Special Events in 2001 plus details of this year's Carol Service at Horsted Keynes Station, 13 December.
- Update to details of Bus services to the railway. Service 246 from Uckfield now serves Sheffield Park daily Monday to Friday. Service 121/122 links Sheffield Park to Lewes on a Saturday.
- Link added to the new website for The Oak Ardingly, a local pub which we are known to visit on occasions - very good food and nicely kept beer!
- New Banner available, if you want to use it to link to our web site. (Also see existing banners 1 and 2.)
- Jon Bowers has provided some photographs of yesterday's "Giants of Steam" event, and Tony Pearce has put a couple of the double header on his own web page.
- Update to Loco Roster - 92 Squadron is working all this week.
- Syd Carroll has the following video available, which may interest you: 92 Squadron - 50
Years down the line. Cost is now only £15.95. Cheques etc to Vanna Video at
67 Sidney Road, Borstal, Rochester, Kent. ME1 3HG.
- Update to the page for this Sunday's Giants of Steam special event, including further details, and information on bus times. This includes a free vintage bus service throughout the day to Lewes and Brighton, in addition to our regular service to East Grinstead.
- New photo from Martin Oakley of the Alf Brown Gang's SECR Passenger Luggage Van.
- The Bluebell's WAP site (for those with the latest in mobile telephony) was launched yesterday, and is at http://wap.bluebellrailway.co.uk with basic details of services, operating dates, and how to get to the railway.
- Update to page for Carriage Works Extension, including a new photo.
- Update to the Carriage Fleet Review - 4. Special Saloons and 5. Pullmans, to take account of the arrival of "Eagle" and the Semi-Royal Saloon.
- New photo of Pullman Car "Eagle".
- New page with a photo of our Southern Railway
10T capacity covered goods van No.44611, built in 1931 on LSWR running gear. Photo from Graeme Pettit.
- New links to
- Booking now open for the
- Updates to various Locomotive pages relecting:
- Purchase of SR Schools Class 928 "Stowe" by the Maunsell Locomotive Society, securing its future on the Bluebell.
- Departure last week of ex-Barry S15 830, which joins 825 and 841 on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, having been sold by the Maunsell Locomotive Society.
- Arrival of Bulleid Pacific 34081 "92 Squadron" which is on the Bluebell Railway between September 30 and November 19.
- Information about the chance to be an extra in filming on the Bluebell over the next few weeks. Casting Sunday 1st October.
- New link to Bill Hudson Transport Books, who has a shop at Peak Rail, Matlock, with a large mail-order buisness in new and second-hand books, and an expanding selection of videos.
- Preliminary details of the November 18-19 "Memories of the LBSCR" special event weekend added. This event could well feature five Stroudley Terriers working together!
- Details of Bluebell Goes Dutch. Saturday 2nd to Sunday 10th September - Visiting Dutch Steam Tram - added to special events page.
- Update to Loco Roster.
- Update to Horsted Keynes re-signalling page with more progress reported by Peter Richards and a new photo of the Ardingly points.
- Richard Perian - supplier of specialist railway nuts and bolts including rivet headed bolts - added to the Carriage Technical page.
- New link to Railway Tales, which is a CD containing an affectionate record of the people who worked on a quiet country railway line between the two great wars.
- New link to the Eastbourne website, which includes details of overnight accommodation in the area, and lists us in their "Nearby Attractions" section.
- Links to other Heritage Railways in the area.
- New link to This is Brighton and Hove.
- Details added on Special Events page for:
- Page for the final result of the Football Competitions now has a link to a new page with details of the amounts raised by these competitions over the last four years.
- Update to the Horsted Keynes Re-signalling Page from Peter Richards, with the latest news of progress in the creation of the Junction layout at the south end of the station.
- Further details of 1960-built BR(W) Bogie Well Wagon B900920, a one-time Motor-rail loading ramp, bought for conversion to a Loco Boiler Carrier, added to the Wagon stock list.
- Details of the Sponsored Walk on 23rd September, in aid of the restoration of the LSWR Carriage which is being restored including accommodation for disabled passengers. Sponsorship forms are available on-line for you to print out.
- Update to various carriage pages, correcting minor inconsistencies.
- Update to various carriage pages, to reflect the return to traffic this coming weekend of Bulleid Open Third No.1482, following a four-year-long overhaul.
- Report on the Victorian Evenings.
- Update to the Loco Roster with details of planned locomotive usage for June, July and August.
- Update to pages on the restoration by BASH of Metropolitan Railway coaches 368 and 412.
- Details of the summer "Heart of Sussex Link" bus (Service 40) from Haywards Heath to Sheffield Park added to the Access to the Railway - Bus page.
- Details of Wedding and Wedding Reception facilities added to the Party Catering page.
- New information about forthcoming events:
- Site rated as suitable for all ages with SafeSurf.
- Update to the timetable page, with improved use of colour in the tables.
- Details of Metrobus Coastlink 2000 services added to the Access to the Railway page.
- New web pages for the following vehicles:
- 653 SR Van C (4w Guards Passenger Brake Van, BY)
- 1788 SR PLV (4w Passenger Luggage Van, PMV) with photo courtesy Jonathan Hall
- 2186 SR PLV (PMV)
- 4601 Bogie Scenery Van (modified for carrying circus elephants) with photo courtesy Graeme Pettit
- New Special event added: May: Sat 6: "Railway Children" Day - visit from members of the cast, and special trains running as used in the film.
- Update to the Loco Roster with details of what loco should (if all goes to plan) be working on what days in April and May.
- Photo of Bulleid Q1 class, No.C1, taken in Southern Railway days, added to this loco's web page.
- Update of current positions in the Carriage Works Extension Fund Football Competition.
- The site is now registered as being free from anything offensive with RSACi which makes it accessible to anyone using more recent versions of Netscape or IE with the content filtering system enabled. Since I have to add a tag to every page, it will take some time for the entire site to be covered.
- New web page, with photo by the late Tony Dunkley, of the Camelot Locomotive Society's 4-wheel CCT No.2531
31 January 2000:
- Three new pages:
- Update to the Locomotive Roster, covering the period to the end of March.
- Minor update to the Carriage Works Extension page, although I really should get a photo of the building work completed so far.
- Update to the Carriage Technical Pages including many more useful addresses of specialist suppliers, and also a link for the BR Mk.1 Coach e-mail group.
- More photos from Nigel Kendall, SteamWeb, to whom very many thanks:
3 January 2000:
Return to Bluebell Home Page,
to the Timetable or to Special Events
The Current What's New page -
1999 and 1997-8 "What was new" archive pages.
Visitor Info. - Catering - Contacts - What's New - Extension - Locos - Carriages & Wagons - Signals - History - Other - Links - Search the site - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member? - Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
Page maintained by Richard Salmon.
© Copyright, disclaimer and credits.