Bluebell Railway web site:
Please be aware that due to the historical nature of this page, some of the
links on it may be out of date.
Site Update Archive 2002
The Current What's New page, the 2003 archive and the 2004 archive contain all the recent update information.
Also see the
2001, the 2000, the 1999 and the 1997-8 "What was new" archive pages.
Photographic reports 2002:
Web-site Update Archive
31 December 2002:
- News update - ORR decision on
East Grinstead Station Site.
- New link to Volunteer
Recruitment 16-25 Weekend, April 12-13 - for anyone aged between
16 and 25 who would like to see behind the scenes, and find out
what's involved in being a Bluebell Volunteer.
- Details of Golden Arrow Pullman Dining
Trains for 2003 now available. These trains are very popular, so
book now to get the date you want! New for 2003, Saturday Lunch
- 2003 versions of graphics loaded.
- Updates to the Bluebell Railway Trust web page:
- You can give to the Trust on-line using your credit or debit
card, through GiveNow.org.
- A Gift Aid Form is now
available. If you are a UK tax payer and you complete this Form, it
enables us to increase the value of your donation by 28%.
- New photos added to pages for the following wagons:
- Update to the wap site: wap.bluebellrailway.co.uk
- News and photos of the completion of frame repairs and
re-wheeling of the GWR "Dukedog" locomotive 3217 on the Loco Works News
pages from Lewis Nodes.
- Update to the Loco Roster, following the 9F bowing out, needing new tubes.
- Update to the web page for loco No. 73082 Camelot, clarifying the position regarding the authenticity of the restoration, and the recent Bachmann model, with the early BR emblem on the tender.
- Update to Access to the railway by Bus details: At a date to be advised our bus stop near East Grinstead Station will be moved into the main bus lay-bys on the corner of the main ring road, on the other side of the road to the Esso petrol station.
- Today's press releases added:
- News item concerning Giants of Steam Gala, and the failure of the
visiting Bulleid Pacific Taw Valley; on the News page.
- Minor update to page for LSWR
- Update with current positions in our fund-raising Football Competition.
- This weekend's Giants of
Steam Gala will be the only occasion during its visit that
"Taw Valley" will be appearing as itself! In addition, "Blackmoor
Vale" will carry "O.V.S. Bulleid" nameplates for the first time since
it did so unofficially in 1963.
- Photo montage from Jon Bowers featuring the visiting Bulleid
Pacific Taw Valley (as "Ottery St.Mary") on the News page.
- Page for track layout at Horsted
Keynes updated since the vounteer track gang have today completed
the relaying of the dock road on its original alignment.
- New additions to the Loco Works News
with photos from Lewis Nodes put up yesterday.
* First Terrier cylinder casting arrives;
* 92240's broken springs replaced.
- The Screensaver page has now received over 7000 hits. So
far a total of £425 has been raised for the P Class Fund. Tony
Pearce, who manages the page, would like to thank all those who have
donated. If you have not visited the page follow this link.
- Jon Horrocks has made available another page of his
pictures. They were all taken in the snow last Christmas.
- The programme for our forthcoming Giants of Steam Gala Weekend
has now been printed, and is available from Horsted Keynes Booking
Office. If you've not already ordered one, send a first-class SAE
with Cheque for £2 payable to "Bluebell Railway" to:
GoS, Horsted Keynes Station, Nr. Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH17 7BB
- Additional details (including bus timetable, and details of the
use of the Gold RT bus from the LT Museum) now available for our
Giants of Steam Gala
- Update to Progress on the East Grinstead
Extension with new photos and news from the extension team.
- New web page and two photos
of the newly overhauled Southern Railway Ballast Wagon No. ED 62002.
- New photo of the recently
arrived SR 8-plank, 10ft-wheelbase, open wagon.
- Update to the News from the
Volunteer P-Way Gang page, with photos and description of work on
the track, and a photo of the viaduct which is being repaired on the
- A splendid new selection of
recent photos from Jon Bowers.
- Update to the Loco Roster, with
intended loco usage for October-December.
- Channel 4's Scrapheap Challenge at 5.35pm next Sunday,
13th October, involves teams building a road-rail machine. The
machines were tested on Bluebell metals, and we also provided a
- Advanced notice of the date of next year's Emergency Services
Weekend: July 26th and 27th 2003, details on the BRPS
Fire Service web site.
- Details now available of our Giants of
Steam - our largest locos, plus a visiting Bulleid Pacific.
October 26 - 27.
- New News Report now available, with photos.
- Photo Report from West Country weekend
- Locomotive "Bluebell" at Airbourne 2002
- Letters of thanks following the Royal Visit
- Tom Martin passed away in mid July
- Locomotive workshop programme
- Buebell Atlantic project progress
- Signalling News
- NRM extend loan of the T9 and Q1
- Work starts on Viaduct on the Extension
- New P-Way news page available
- Carriage Works news
- Web Site wins award
- New Video: The Southern Railway At War including film shot on our line
in the vicinity of Sharpthorne Tunnel and West Hoathly Station in 1943.
- Updates to two of the News pages in the last couple of days:
We are very pleased to have become only the ninth recipient of a Silver
"Smokin' Website Award" from smokin.kvrr.net (and no one has yet
- New link to the Bodmin
and Wenford Railway website.
- Web-site Down-time
Due to a building power outage this Saturday (3rd August) to make a
connection at the substation for a new building, the webserver will come
down from 09:00. Power is due to be reconnected at 1pm, and so the web
server should become available again that afternoon.
- Further details of the forthcoming "West Country Weekend" now
available on the News from the
Bluebell page, together with a reminder about our revised 473 Bus
Service for the summer, which has been extended to serve two other tourist
attractions, Standen and Sackville College, and a brief
report on our Royal visit.
- Web-site Down-time
There will be a short outage to our Internet connection today, from 6.30pm
onwards. Normal service should be resumed within a few hours.
- Apologies for the Web-site Down-time over the last couple
As notified on 12th July, our web service was disrupted due to work
on our host's network.
- The Latest news from the
Bluebell: went on line last Friday.
- New update also now posted on the Wap site.
Thanks to advice from Nick Smith, this page and the Events page on
the wap site now work properly!
- New News Report now available.
- Advance notice: Web-site Down-time
Major work is planned on our host network on Tuesday, 16th July from
5pm onwards. It is likely that services will be disrupted
periodically during the work. We hope that normal service will be
resumed early morning on the following day.
- New web page, with Mike South's account of why the LSWR Gate
Stock didn't get preserved, and other memories of Early Bluebell Days.
- New (1960s) photos by Keith Harwood added to:
- Extensions page: 2-BIL electric unit No
2098 at Horsted Keynes in the early 1960s.
- H-class Loco page: as British
Railways No.31263, leaving East Grinstead high level station for
- A New Page about
Fenchurch. Two of Keith's photos, and also includes an item from
The Railway Magazine published in February 1941.
- Consequent updates to the Index,
and all other History pages.
- The search engine returns to the site:
- Update to the BRPS Social Sub-Committee
page, with a report on the members' Barbeque at Horsted Keynes,
and details of the "Silly Games" and Barbeque at Sheffield Park on
August 25th, as well as provisional details of events later in the
- Updates to Special Events page,
and the page for the West Country
Music and Steam weekend. Please note that the Friday evening
event that weekend has unfortunately been cancelled. The remaining
musical events, 'The Yetties' and The Wurzels, plus a
feast of steam action, remain as planned.
- Update to the planned Loco
Roster for June. You will note that there is a visiting engine,
No.37, "Invincible" from the Isle of Wight, which is coming to shunt
the troublesome trucks.
- Final results now available for the Football Competition which has been raising
funds for our covered accommodation
- Update to Contacts page with the railway's new general enquiry e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Revised e-mail address for the P Class Fund.
- It's apparent that the Search Engine we used on this site has been broken for some time, having been taken over by another company. Any suggestions for a good free internal search engine are welcome!
- Details added (and bookings now being taken) for:
- New News Report now available.
- Improved Bluebell Bus service for the summer
Our No.473 Bus between East Grinstead and Kingscote is being re-routed so that it can also serve the National Trust property of Standen, and East Grinstead's historic Jacobean almshouses, Sackville College, daily from Monday 29th July until Sunday 1st September 2002. Revised timings are available on the timetable page.
- Update to the Stepney Club's web page, who are holding Stepney's Grand Balloon Race on the first four Saturdays in August - 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th.
- Updates to the Wagon Stock List:
- LMS Box Van 506190 is confirmed as having left the railway for Isfield
some years ago.
- DS61107 (Bulleid well wagon) added, together with photo.
- Advance warning: This web site will be down tomorrow morning
(4th April) due to work by our site host, installing a new firewall. Some
disruption may continue into the afternoon.
- New photo report from Jon Bowers:
Good Friday trains - featuring Stepney, the SER O1,
Camelot and 80151.
- Update to the Loco
Works Photo News from Lewis Nodes:
- Frame repairs on 3217 Earl of Berkeley;
- Frame repairs for 928's tender;
- Baxter now dismantled;
- Work continues on 1178;
- Work starts on 27.
- Update to the planned Loco
Roster covering April, May and June.
- Update to the page introducing the railway in German, with thanks to Michael Platz.
- During March and April our steam trains are running each
weekend, and also every day from 25 March to 14 April. Following
completion of our winter engineering works, the full length of the
line is again open.
- Points and Crossings, February 2002 volunteers' newsletter
added to the Society pages.
- Updates to various pages.
- Update to the 2002 timetable:
- Santa trains are also to run on Sat 30 November and Friday
- Additional services will also run departing Sheffield Park at
11.00 1.00 3.00 to Kingscote & return from
Monday 8 to Friday 12 April. On these dates there will be
no 473 bus service from East Grinstead.
- Updated and expanded information about this weekend's Branch Line
Weekend - Six branch-line locos (five of which are over 100
years old) hauling some of our older coaches.
- Updates to the various foreign language pages, with slightly
revised information for 2002.
- Update to the Links page:
- Update to the BRPS London Area
Group page. Note change of date for their March meeting: Tue 19
Mar : Talk: "VSOE".
- PDF version of Day out with
Thomas booking form updated so that it is compatible with the
older (version 3) Acrobat reader.
1 January 2002:
- The temporary Table 4 Timetable,
operating at weekends from January 19 to March 3, plus half-term
week, 11-15 February (except for the Branch Line Weekend, 9-10 February)
will be operated using 1872-built Stroudley Terrier "Fenchurch" and
the steam-heated 100-year-old Metropolitan Railway carriages.
So whilst the service is curtailed to the Sheffield Park - Horsted
Keynes section of the line, this is a chance to experience some of
our most popular rolling stock!
Railway Car Boot & Collectors
Fair - Horsted Keynes Station - Sunday 28th April 2002
This web site has previously suggested that this event might have
been all weekend, but it is confirmed as only the Sunday (due to a
Railwayana auction elsewhere on the Saturday).
Return to Bluebell Home Page,
to the Timetable or to Special Events
The Current What's New
page - the 2003, the
2000, the 1999 and the 1997-8 "What was new" archive pages.
Visitor Info. - Catering - Contacts -
What's New - Extension
- Locos - Carriages & Wagons - Signals - History -
Other - Links - Search the site - FAQ
Why not become a BRPS Member? - Get more involved as a Volunteer
Your ideal Film/TV location?
Page maintained by Richard Salmon.
© Copyright, disclaimer and